Believe it or not, the foods we consume play a role in the appearance of our skin. Eating the right foods is great for overall health and essential to maintaining healthy skin. If you're interested in eating healthy, it might be a good idea to include these five "superfoods" in your diet.
- Tomatoes - Tomatoes are loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C, which both promote healthy skin. Antioxidants help prevent signs of aging by protecting the skin from free radicals. Vitamin C also encourages collagen synthesis in the dermis, making it another essential ingredient for healthy skin. In addition, eating raw tomatoes can increase your intake of lycopene, an antioxidant that has been found to help reduce the risk of skin cancer.
- Blueberries - These delicious, dark blue gems are not only tasty but they're also packed with antioxidants and vitamin C . Vitamin C is essential for collagen synthesis, which promotes healthy skin. The pigments in blueberries are thought to prevent wrinkles by protecting the skin from free-radical damage and reducing inflammation.
- Carrots - These orange nuggets are high in beta-carotene, which is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants protect the skin by neutralizing the effects of harmful molecules known as free radicals, thus preventing damage to healthy cells and promoting healthy skin. You can increase your beta-carotene intake by juicing carrots or snacking on baby carrots.
- Oranges - They're not only delicious, but oranges are also rich in vitamin C . Vitamin C is essential for collagen synthesis, which is excellent for healthy skin. The antioxidant properties of citrus fruits such as oranges protect the skin from free-radical damage, thus promoting healthy skin.
- Spinach - High in antioxidants and loaded with vitamins A, C, E, B6, and K, spinach is a great choice to include in your diet if you want to improve the appearance of your skin. In addition, the carotenoids contained in spinach have been shown to protect against the sun and enhance your immune system.
If you don't care to eat these foods in their natural forms, many products are available that contain high levels of the same nutrients.